The story of O’Donnell’s began over three quarter centuries ago when Tom O’Donnell opened his first restaurant, the ‘Sea Grill’ in downtown Washington, D.C. at 1207 E Street NW in 1922. Undaunted by the Great Depression that gripped Washington in the 1930’s, his business was booming.
Tom leased the Victor Wholesalers building at 1221 E Street, opening in 1941 as his second location. Daughter Janice O’Donnell Edelblut joined the business in 1945.
Whether it was the luck of the Irish or keen perception of the future, the O’Donnell’s purchased the Edgemoor Motor Building on Wisconsin Avenue in Bethesda, MD as the site of their new suburban location. The restaurant opened its doors to great success in 1956. As the popularity of the Bethesda location continued to grow, the building was renovated, refurbished and expanded several times over the years yet remained in the family with grandson Bill Edelblut at the helm.
In the summer of 1997, O’Donnell’s opened its Kentlands restaurant to rave reviews, remaining open until 2013.
O’Donnell’s Restaurant is proud to have been Montgomery County’s premier choice for seafood. Always owned by the O’Donnell family, the restaurant offered the freshest seafood, the original Norfolk style of cooking, famous Rum Buns and the service and hospitality patrons enjoyed for over 90 years.
Now, Bill and the 4th generation O’Donnell–Ashlee– are bringing a fresh concept to the D.C. Metro region: O’Donnell’s Market. Opening in November 2015, customers can expect the same great quality always associated with the O’Donnell’s name. The market will have fresh seafood and meat, prepared dishes, grab-and-go salads and sandwiches, a bakery, catering, and more.